BRILLIANT actress Olympia Dukakis, who died on May 1 at the age of 89, had a way with words.
Dukakis won an Oscar for her performance in the 1988 film Moonstruck.
Seven best Olympia Dukakis quotes
- “The year of the Dukakii.” (Dukakis was referring to 1988, when she won an Oscar and when cousin Michael Dukakis earned the Democratic nomination for president).
- “My ambition wasn’t to win the Oscar. It was to play the great parts.”
- “I think it’s because most of us talk one way and live another. There are a few people who truly, truly walk the talk.”
- “I feel it most in my work, because there aren’t roles about women who are spiritually evolving. That anyone would even write something like that, something that’s worth doing, would be a miracle!”
- “Winning is everything in Hollywood.”
- “God is not something I think about but something I experience as an energy, a Presence. I do find it easier to pray to a female Presence or an androgynous Presence.”
- “You don’t stay married for thirty-nine years because of sex or even because of love, but because your partner is a real friend to you, because they respect and regard you.”
What did Cher say about Olympia Dukakis?
Cher said she “laughed all the time” with Moonstruck co-star Olympia Dukakis as she remembered the late actress.
Cher took to Twitter to express her sadness and remember her friend.
“Olympia Dukakis Was an Amazing, Academy Award-Winning Actress,” Cher wrote.
“Olympia Played My Mom In Moonstruck and Even Though Her Part was That Of a Suffering Wife, We [Laughed] ALL The Time.
“She Would Tell Me How MUCH She Loved Louis, Her ‘Handsome Talented, Husband.'”
“I Talked To Her 3Wks Ago. Rip Dear One.”
In a second tweet, the singer shared: “Wrote This [Hours] Ago, But Didn’t hit [Tweet].
“Heard Olympia Was Sick So Called Her Daughter & Said Could I Talk 2 Her.
“She Said ‘She might Not HEAR or SPEAK’.
“I Called [Into] The Receiver ‘Olympia It’s Cher, I [Love] You Remember Moonstruck, She Said ‘Oh Cher, I [Love] you’
“She Was Weak But Happy. RIP O.”
Dukakis and Cher both won Oscars for their performances in Moonstruck.