• Tue. Mar 2nd, 2021

Bristol gran finds sink plug inside her takeaway onion bhaji

ByDNP

Feb 22, 2021

The battered plug was nestled in with all the other bhajis (Picture: BPM Media)

A grandmother was left ‘gobsmacked’ after finding a sink plug in her takeaway onion bhaji.

The woman, 65, who did not want to be named, ordered the bhajis along with some rice and naan bread for £17.99 from Garam Masala in Bristol.

She says her grandson found the plug was attached to a green string and coated in batter.

‘There were potato peelings in the rice which made me wonder what on earth was going on,’ she said.

‘My grandson was Starvin’ Marvin as usual, and trying to have his food before anyone else. He was saying, “I can’t cut the onion bhaji.”

‘I was saying, “It’s fine, it’s just dried in the oven.” Then I thought – hang on, there’s something black in there.

‘When I saw that it was a plug, I was absolutely gobsmacked. I just couldn’t believe it. It made me wonder if someone was not very happy in the kitchen that night.’

She claims she rang the restaurant and the manager said it wasn’t possible.

The plug bhaji was attached to a green string and coated in batter (Picture: BPM Media)
The manager at Garam Masala in Bristol said they ‘fired’ the employee responsible (Picture: Google)

‘I was very disappointed and surprised,’ she said. ‘I asked him to have a think about what he could do, and get back to me.

‘He didn’t call me back for over an hour. I called him again and he said, “Sorry, I’ve been busy. If you want a refund you have to go through [the food delivery service] JustEat.”

She lodged a complaint with JustEat and Bristol City Council’s environmental health team, but was ‘disappointed’ not to hear back from the restaurant directly.

She said: ‘I could understand they were busy on the Saturday, but I thought I’d hear back on the Sunday.

‘I thought they’d ring the next day and ask if everyone was alright, and check no one had been ill – but there was nothing.

‘To be perfectly honest, I’ve gone right off the idea of takeaways now.’

The customer said she also found potato peelings in the rice (Picture: BPM Media)

The restaurant’s manager said they ‘fired’ the employee responsible and were ‘really, really sorry’.

He said the environmental health team visited to investigate the complaint and was satisfied with the restaurant’s protocols.

‘We follow the procedure and if there is human error, there are things that cannot be controlled sometimes,’ he said.

‘It shouldn’t happen but we are really, really sorry for that. We have already taken the precautions and done all the things that need to be done.

‘Environmental health came in and said they are happy with us. Food has never been made in the sink. We make it in a bowl.

‘Sometimes we make 50, 60, 100 portions at once. It’s a big amount of onions to mix with ground flour, and when we’re mixing it needs water. Somehow, the plug has dropped in.’

He added he would have called the customer back to apologise but her number had disappeared from the JustEat order system.

Garam Masala has a four-star food hygiene rating. Bristol City Council has been approached for comment.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.



Source link

Read Also  Southern Charm’s Madison LeCroy claims she 'talked but didn't get physical' with ARod as she slams JLo affair rumors

DNP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *